GENBAND to Demonstrate Advanced NFV Capabilities at Mobile World Congress 2016
Powerful NFV solution combines GENBAND’s Wireless Access Gateway with HPE Helion Open Stack carrier-grade platform to deliver differentiated LTE Wi-Fi capabilities
Barcelona, February 17, 2016 – GENBAND™, a leading provider of real-time communications software solutions, today announced that it will be collaborating with Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) to demonstrate differentiated Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) solutions targeting mobile service providers at Mobile World Congress 2016 in Barcelona, February 22 -25. GENBAND’s virtualized and elastic Wireless Access Gateway evolved Packet Data Gateway (ePDG) and NFV Cloud Manager software will be integrated onto the HPE Helion Open Stack carrier-grade NFV platform to demonstrate LTE Wi-Fi solutions. GENBAND joined the HPE OpenNFV Ecosystem in 2014 as a Technology Partner and has since worked closely with HPE and other ecosystem partners to help service providers achieve the goal of launching new services faster, easier and at a lower cost through the virtualization of core telecommunications network functions.
“We are excited about the numerous opportunities for mobile service providers that our NFV collaboration with HPE is creating,” said Sanjay Bhatia, Vice President of Solutions Marketing and Strategy at GENBAND. “We are leveraging our Wireless Access Gateway ePDG capabilities and HPE’s Helion carrier-grade platform to enable mobile service providers to virtualize their packet core solutions to connect and authenticate Wi-Fi networks and enable a seamless user experience for Wi-Fi calling, including transparent handover of Voice over Wi-Fi (VoWi-Fi) and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) calls between Wi-Fi and LTE networks, or vice versa.”
“Improving the mobile operator service agility and demonstrating the maturity and relevance of our NFV capabilities are some of the significant benefits that working closely with OpenNFV Technology partners such as GENBAND are yielding,” said Werner Schaefer, Vice President, Network Functions Virtualization, HPE. “We’re delighted to join forces with GENBAND and other ecosystem partners to showcase these mobile-related NFV capabilities at Mobile World Congress through tested and validated solutions.”
The GENBAND Wireless Access Gateway (WAG) is a software-based solution that secures and intelligently manages mobile traffic from small cells or Wi-Fi access points to the mobile, cable or fixed operators’ packet core networks. Available for the largest 3G and 4G LTE small cell deployments, and for both untrusted and trusted Carrier Wi-Fi networks, GENBAND’s WAG enables subscribers to easily and securely access their mobile voice and multimedia services and enjoy seamless roaming and handovers between network types for an enhanced mobility experience.
The WAG provides the following key standards-based functions:
- SeGW (Security Gateway) for 3G/4G small cells
- ePDG (4G evolved Packet Data Gateway) and TTG (3G Tunnel Terminating Gateway) for untrusted Carrier Wi-Fi such as VoW-Fi
- SaMOG Gateway (S2a Mobility over GTP Gateway) for trusted Carrier Wi-Fi
- GENBAND and HPE are demonstrating advanced NFV-based mobile VoLTE VoWi-Fi solutions combining GENBAND Wireless Access Gateway and HPE’s carrier-grade NFV platform.
- The combined solution offers mobile service providers the ability to connect and authenticate Wi-Fi networks and enable a seamless user experience for Wi-Fi calling including transparent handovers of VoWi-Fi and VoLTE calls between Wi-Fi and LTE networks, or vice versa.
- GENBAND’s Virtual Network Functions (VNFs) are integrated in several NFV ecosystems including HPE and Canonical and the company is working closely with other NFV ecosystem partners including Intel, Wind River, Alcatel-Lucent, Ciena and Kontron to bring differentiated solutions to market.
- GENBAND’s NFV portfolio spans its comprehensive real-time communications solutions set comprised of multiple, high-performance Virtual Network Functions and NFV applications, including Session Border Controllers, Wireless Access Gateway, Intelligent Messaging, WebRTC Gateway, Session Control and Applications Server solutions, and an intelligent Cloud Manager that provides seamless interworking into broader NFV infrastructures.
The combined solution will be demonstrated at GENBAND’s booth 2I31 in Exhibition Hall 2. GENBAND will also be participating in the HPE OpenNFV Partner Showcase in booth 5F31 in Exhibition Hall 5.
GENBAND, a 2015 CNBC Disruptor 50, is a global leader in real-time communications software solutions for service providers, enterprises, independent software vendors, systems integrators and developers in over 80 countries. Kandy, its award-winning, disruptive real-time communications software development platform, is built from the company’s global telecommunications network and security technologies. The platform enables these companies to easily embed a full suite of voice, video, chat, screen-sharing and collaboration capabilities into their existing business, web and mobile applications. The company’s Network Modernization, Unified Communications, Mobility and Embedded Communications solutions enable its customers to quickly capitalize on growing market segments and introduce differentiating products, applications and services. GENBAND’s market-leading solutions, which are deployable in the network, on premise or through the cloud, help its customers connect people to each other and address the growing demands of today’s consumers and businesses for real-time communications wherever they happen to be. To learn more visit genband.com.
GENBAND, the GENBAND logo and icon are trademarks of GENBAND.
+1 (972) 521-5921
+1 (646) 741-1974